Craft is a Conversation
Private spinning and weaving lessons.
Are you wanting to learn the basics of spinning and weaving? Perhaps you have equipment in the attic that’s collecting dust, and would like to put it to use? Or, are you already an experienced spinner and weaver, but want to introduce new perspectives into your practice? Through private lessons and consultation, I can help you explore your relationship with textiles, whatever your level of experience may be.
I specialize in what I call a conversational approach to craft, which focuses on building a reciprocal relationship with our tools and materials, and listening to what they have to tell us. This approach can help develop and expand a creative practice in a number of ways including:
- Finding a distinct creative voice.
- Bringing mindfulness, contemplation, and meditation into your practice.
- Honing your technique and better understanding your equipment.
This is an approach that is rooted in intuition and focuses on experiential learning. Using this method as a foundation, I can offer guidance on a wide variety of specific topics including (but not limited to):
- Introduction to spinning yarn (with drop spindle or spinning wheel)
- Exploring the capabilities of your fibre
- Use of differently colored fibres in spinning
- Introduction to weaving (With floor or riged heddle loom)
- Problem solving technical issues with your hand loom
- Exploration of weave structure
- Use of colour and fibre in surface design
- Pattern drafting
If you would like to arrange an online consultation through video conference, inquire about leading a workshop for a larger group, or schedule an in-person session (within Montreal, Quebec) please fill out the form below and I will get in touch as soon as possible.